It’s been an eventful couple of weeks. We haven’t gotten much done on the house since we went on vacation in late February and then both Geek Dad and I promptly got knocked down by a bad cold when we got home. The master bedroom and Geek Child’s bedroom are pretty much done, though. The only thing we have left to do in those rooms is putting in the doorway transitions and painting the master bathroom.
Geek Child’s Bedroom
We finished up Geek Child’s flooring the day after my last post. It didn’t take too much longer once we got the hang of clicking in the flooring. There are a few spots where the flooring isn’t as tight together as it should be, but we’re pretty happy overall.
The Master Bedroom
I didn’t have any real problem with how the master suite was decorated. It was just sort of blah. Tan walls and carpet that needed to be replaced meant we tackled this bedroom, too. We tore out the carpet and put in the same flooring we used in Geek Child’s room. We also filled holes in the walls, sanded a bunch of drips from the previous paint job, and painted the walls a lovely, calm gray-blue color.
You’ll notice the ceiling fan in both photos. That was Geek Dad’s handy work. He got in there and switched it out before I took my “before” photo. We’re very much ceiling fans in bedrooms people. The previous fixture was one of those square fixtures. I liked it, but it was no ceiling fan.
Geek Dad and I have been chipping away at our various projects around the house. And we’re making progress. It’s just happening more slowly than I would like. One room we made a bunch of progress on today (though not as much as I would like) is Geek Child’s room. Here’s the before:
I spent a day last week painting Geek Child’s bedroom. He loves it, obviously. It’s blue. I looked through this tutorial from Family Handyman again because it’s my favorite painting tutorial. Yep, I have a favorite painting tutorial. It’s definitely made me a faster painter to paint like they describe in the tutorial.
Here’s after painting:
This is post pulling out that very bright carpet:
The pet smell before we pulled out the carpet was noticeable but not horrible. It was horrible after pulling out the carpet. So we added another step and put down an odor blocker.
It set us back on our schedule. But here is Geek Dad applying said odor blocker:
Finally we started actually laying down the new floor. We’re still in the middle of that since it took longer than we hoped on some of the other steps. This pic is from the early stages of putting down the new flooring. We’re about halfway across the room now.