(Relatively) quick and easy kitchen update with new paint and new hardware

The kitchen update has taken a lot longer than we thought it would. That is all on the ridiculous amount of time it took to take down all that wallpaper.

Here is a reminder pic of what it looked like before:

Very 90s kitchen
The kitchen before we got started on updates.

In progress

Here are a few in progress photos:

Wallpaper partially down and priming in progress
Top layer of wallpaper is off! And priming is in progress.
Partially updated kitchen
Took a break after painting the soffit to work on the bedrooms.

We tentatively plan on doing a full kitchen remodel in the next 5 years. We didn’t want to make any drastic changes to the kitchen when we plan to tear out all of it so soon. And I say tentatively because this kitchen is surprisingly functional for one that’s so small. We didn’t like the color of the kitchen cabinets, the cabinet hardware, or the wallpaper, though, so we made a bunch of cosmetic changes.

We got some fairly plain brushed satin nickel cabinet hardware from Home Depot. I think they’re these ones. Like I said, we plan to tear it all out fairly soon, so we went with something simple and cheap. And they look pretty great.

And here it is (mostly) done!

Mostly updated kitchen
New hardware and new paint!

Next steps

We still have some touching up to do. We painted the cabinet doors in the basement since it was too cold to do it in the garage. The lighting down there isn’t very good so there are quite a few places that need to be touched up. The upper cabinets in particular need touching up since the paint color isn’t that much darker than the primer.

We also left the rest of the window to be painted when it’s warm enough outside to crack the window while we paint it.

And those bananas sitting on the counter are now ripe enough to make my favorite banana bread recipe.┬áSo that’s happening today or tomorrow.

Paint and new flooring in the bedrooms and they’re (pretty much) done!

It’s been an eventful couple of weeks. We haven’t gotten much done on the house since we went on vacation in late February and then both Geek Dad and I promptly got knocked down by a bad cold when we got home. The master bedroom and Geek Child’s bedroom are pretty much done, though. The only thing we have left to do in those rooms is putting in the doorway transitions and painting the master bathroom.

Geek Child’s Bedroom

We finished up Geek Child’s flooring the day after my last post. It didn’t take too much longer once we got the hang of clicking in the flooring. There are a few spots where the flooring isn’t as tight together as it should be, but we’re pretty happy overall.

Blue walls and wood flooring
Geek Child’s walls and floor are done!

The Master Bedroom

I didn’t have any real problem with how the master suite was decorated. It was just sort of blah. Tan walls and carpet that needed to be replaced meant we tackled this bedroom, too. We tore out the carpet and put in the same flooring we used in Geek Child’s room. We also filled holes in the walls, sanded a bunch of drips from the previous paint job, and painted the walls a lovely, calm gray-blue color.

Master bedroom with tan walls and yucky carpet.
Master bedroom before.
Gray-blue walls and wood flooring are a vast improvement.
New paint color and new flooring. The photo doesn’t do the new color on the walls justice.

You’ll notice the ceiling fan in both photos. That was Geek Dad’s handy work. He got in there and switched it out before I took my “before” photo. We’re very much ceiling fans in bedrooms people. The previous fixture was one of those square fixtures. I liked it, but it was no ceiling fan.